Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pretty in Pink Inspiration

I spent the weekend painting my bedroom and since I was (mostly) on my own, I played a bunch of movies in the background to keep me company. One of the movies I selected was Pretty in Pink—feeling very much in the mood for a love story and some good '80's music.

I wasn't paying too much attention but happened to look over at the screen during the famous prom scene when I noticed this image.


Do you see that large black and white orchestra photo hanging behind the band? Here is a close up.


Isn't it great? I love the idea of decorating with a large scale, black and white, vintage orchestra or big band image. Can you imagine hanging this in your dining room?

New York Public Library's Digital Archive has some really images with a simliar vibe. For instance, what about adding some impact to an empty stairway with one of these?






All of these and are more are available here if you would like to try this for yourself!

*****

first two images from Pretty in Pink, Dir. Howard Deutch. Paramount Pictures, 1986.
Bruno Walter with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra via the New York Public Library
West Side Orchestra Concerts by Frederique Petrides via the New York Public Library
Orchestra from the New York World's Fair via the New York Public Library
Orchestra from the New York World's Fair via the New York Public Library

Guiseppi Creatore and his band via the New York Public Library

2 comments:

  1. The image in Pretty in Pink is pretty clearly Dmitri Mitropoulos and the New York Philharmonic. A very strange choice for the film context and quite a surprise when it appeared on my TV screen yesterday, on the 59th anniversary of DM's death.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...