Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Zesty Couch and Aunt Rose's Chair

Have you seen this couch from Anthropologie?



Subtle it is not. "Zesty" is the name of this couch and it couldn't be more appropriate. The flowers are bold, in your face, all over...and I kind of love it.

It reminds me of what I wanted to do with my Aunt Rose chairs. The pair of chairs were a rusty orange velour and a fixture in my great aunt's apartment for years. Aunt Rose always sat in the same chair and whenever I visited her, I would sit in the chair next to her and we'd have wonderful conversations. When she passed away, I knew that I wanted those chairs to live in my home forevermore.



Right after we bought our home (the photo above is from the week we moved in), I was shopping on Fabric Row in Philly with Mindy when we found this fabric.



It was love at first sight and it became the jumping off point for my dining room. I wanted to cover Aunt Rose's chairs completely in this fabric but a lot of people talked me out of it. First off, it wasn't upholstery material so it wouldn't have worn well and would have been tough to clean. Secondly, public opinion was that the pattern would have been too busy. I didn't agree about the busy-ness (and frankly, I still think they would have been awesome) but I couldn't argue with the non-upholstery fabric issue especially since the chairs were going to be used in the dining room. So I ended up upholstering the chairs in a textured, durable charcoal gray/brown shade and used my beloved fabric for pillows and as piping on the chair.





I love the way they turned out and though I've yet to tire of this pattern, I know that the chairs are flexible enough now to have a life in any room among any decor. I wouldn't call them zesty but they certainly have enough zip to make them my very favorite furniture item in my home.



*****

top two photos by Anthropologie
all other photos by The Pink Chalkboard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...