Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chalkboard Project: Simple Silver Leaf Frame


I have been thinking about creating a gallery wall for over a year now and have slowly been gathering the art and items that I want to display. This piece was in my husband's childhood home and I knew I wanted to find a place for it in our home.


I wanted to update and dress it up a bit so I decided to silver leaf the frame. I went to Michael's 3 times looking for sheets of silver leaf but just couldn't find what I was looking for. On a whim, I picked this up instead.


I thought that it would be like taking the easy way out and was a little bummed at the thought of doing something that wouldn't look as good, but I went for it anyway and was actually really surprised at the way it turned out. It's shiny and real-looking – not flat, faux-silver or pearlized at all.


I started out by just painting the outside part of the frame thinking that leaving the gold area would be nice but it wasn't popping as much as I hoped it would so I then covered the glass with painters tape and colored over the entire front and sides of the frame. I was especially pleased with one of the sides of the frame since its uneven and mottled texture actually made the paint look more like real silver leaf with cracks. (Please don't mind the glass of wine and half nibbled muffin in the background of the photo below. Isn't that what everyone does while they DIY?)



And that's it. So simple and yet satisfying, too, knowing that I added my own little touch. I think the "silver frame" really updates the look.


*****

photos by The Pink Chalkboard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...