Thursday, January 19, 2012

Inspired by Franz Kline

A few weeks ago, we mentioned the fabulous photo shoot we styled with Channa.  Now it's time to show some more pics from that shoot.  Here are some shots of the dessert table.


The dark chocolates and bold yellow candies are certainly delectable-looking on their own, but we wanted to make a bolder statement to the overall tablescape so we placed a graphic painting of mine behind it.  A statement piece like this is certainly easy to create yourself.

Inspired by Franz Kline's work, I decided to try my hand at making something similar to it.  Here are some of his works that I looked to for inspiration:

Untitled

Painting

Hazleton

In my last apartment, I needed a headboard but I wasn't willing to spend a lot of money for it (sleeping with my head right up against the brick wall just wasn't comfy). So I purchased a large white stretched canvas from Dick Blick and added some subtle detail with brown tape.  It was temporary, simple and matched my duvet. Nothing fancy, but it worked.


I wanted to reuse that canvas for my painting.  I had some white primer left over from a dresser I painted so I put that down first so the background would be a clean, bright white.  Then I just had fun with black acrylic paint and some large paintbrushes.  A brush stroke here, a brush stroke there, and 20 minutes later it was done.


So simple, yet energetic and fun.  A statement piece for the living room, dining room, bedroom...
or even as the backdrop for a festive dessert table!

*****


photography by Sarah DiCicco
paper products by Lily My Love
styling by Lily My Love and The Pink Chalkboard
image of canvas headboard by The Pink Chalkboard

3 comments:

  1. Love the artwork!!! How large is the painted canvas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing :) .... Is it linen or cotton stretched?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Thank you!

    The painted canvas is 60" x 40". I believe it is cotton stretched with some wooden slats added in the back for support. I purchased the canvas from the art supply store, Dick Blick.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...