Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rocking Chair

I love to decoupage furniture. For the past several years I have been decoupaging small children's chairs, adding a stuffed animal and some other items, and giving them as gifts to new moms. Here is one of my favorites:




So, when my boyfriend and I decided to move in together and before we had any idea of where we were going to live, I decided that I wanted to decoupage a piece of furniture for us. I knew that no matter how we ended up decorating, this piece would add "just the right amount of whimsy" to our space (to quote our favorite designer, Sarah Richardson!).

At the same time I also was really inspired by this post I saw on Decor8 about a beautiful shop in London, Squint, and specifically this gorgeous rocking chair (which is upholstered instead of decoupaged--not ready to try that yet!)

Image via Squint

We had an old rocking chair that looked like this:


And after many hours and several bottles of Mod Podge, became this!


I used lots of patterned paper from Dick Blick and the black and white toile is some leftover wallpaper that my mom had.

And here it is in place in our apartment (next to a little treasure chest that my mom had decoupaged years ago):


What do you think? Inspired to decoupage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...